Wednesday 25 March 2015

28 Weeks Pregnant


This morning I had another midwife appointment and everything looked great--baby has a good strong heartbeat, and even gave the doppler a kick. I had my 28-week blood testing done, so we'll find out the results of that check at my next appointment, at 31 weeks. 

The lovely second trimester is officially over now, replaced by the third trimester's swollen feet and ankles, back ache and a return of fatigue. I'm still doing my yoga and walking, and swimming is feeling great these days--I might have to start going swimming more often. My writing has been a real struggle--I've always thought 'pregnancy brain' was a stupid stereotype meant to keep women down, but now I have to admit that it's real. I have a hard time focusing on work and my writing just isn't up to its usual standard. We're changing the office into the nursery in just 10 days, though, so hopefully the added time pressure will help me get things submitted sooner rather than later--I've always been good at pulling it out of the fire and I work well under pressure!

Frustratingly, I can focus for hours on baby-related stuff. I'm nearly done with the lamb mobile (pics to follow!), I can spend ages online updating the Amazon baby wish list, and before our trip to Mothercare last week, I made an inventory list of all the baby gear we've accumulated so far. Why can't I show that kind of energy and dedication to my writing, at least for a few more weeks?! I blame the nesting instinct.

Baby has been making its presence known these days with lots of kicks and movement.
It's lovely and reassuring, but it's also really freaky. Someone asked me to describe it, and there really isn't a good way to describe it--it feels like something is jabbing at you from the inside, because that's what's happening. The early movements were easier to describe--'flutterings'--and sometimes it felt a bit like when you drive too fast over a dip in the road, that sinking stomach/roller coaster feeling. Now, it really does feel like there's a little creature in there (Richard doesn't like it when I say it's like an alien's in there, but really...it does feel like it!). I did a yoga move yesterday morning where I leaned back and I saw a very pronouced lump (either baby's head or butt) right in the top-middle of my belly, just below my sternum. When things like that happen, I'm simultaneously in awe and grossed out--that pretty much sums up my whole attitude towards pregnancy, actually! It's amazing and miraculous, but also pretty icky and weird. Can't wait until June!

No comments:

Post a Comment